We’re committed to safeguarding people’s privacy and the confidentiality of their personal information and are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Act).
Personal information we collect
We collect personal information including:
- Name, address, date of birth and contact details
- Details of property purchased and owned
- Financial details
- Employment, residency status and proof of identity.
We ask for personal information from:
- Our customers, and the customers of our business partners and intermediaries
- Our business partners, and intermediaries
- Legal representatives and real estate agents of our customers
- Participants in competitions, loyalty programs, marketing initiatives, promotions and surveys
- Credit providers, and others you owe money to
In most cases we’ll collect personal information directly. We’ll obtain consent before collecting sensitive information, such as health information, unless we’re required or permitted by law to collect it without consent.
If we don’t receive personal information
We may not be able to do provide our products or services if we’re not given all of the personal information we’ve asked for. This includes not issuing deposit bonds.
Dealing with us anonymously
There are some circumstances where people can deal with us anonymously, including if they’re only looking for general information about one of our products or services, or asking for a quote.
What we do with personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information in ways people would reasonably expect and where it’s reasonably necessary for our business, including:
- Issuing, processing, administering and managing deposit bond applications and deposit bonds, and claims
- Taking recovery action
- Improving our products and services, and the customer experience
- Working with referral partners, intermediaries and our underwriter, QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited
- Data analytics
- Conducting competitions, loyalty programs, marketing initiatives, promotional activities and surveys, and
- Assessing applicants’ suitability for a deposit bond.
Disclosing personal information
We may disclose personal information to:
- Any person authorised by you
- Our related bodies corporate, including Deposit Assure’s services company located in the Philippines which provides administration services
- Technology services providers for printing and/or delivery of mail and email, including secure storage and management of our records
- Financiers of property purchases being guaranteed
- Organisations that provide banking or transactional services to facilitate payments to and from us
- Organisations that assist us improve our products, services and the customer experience
- Co-Applicants to confirm full disclosure has been made to us
- Other deposit bond providers to obtain information about past deposit bond history, and to assess risk
- Our Underwriter, QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited
- Dispute resolution organisations such as the Financial Ombudsman Service, and
We may also disclose personal information to:
- QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited
- Auditors, solicitors and other consultants and professionals
- Experts to provide us with opinions
- Credit reporting agencies. When we disclose your information, it may be accessible to other members and subscribers of these agencies.
We also collect personal information from these people and organisations.
Disclosure to business referral partners and intermediaries
When you buy a deposit bond arranged by one of our business referral partners or intermediaries, you consent to us providing all of your personal information to that business partner or intermediary, which may include sensitive information.
That business referral partner or intermediary may also provide us with personal information.
Disclosure to overseas recipients
We may store and disclose personal information overseas.
Where personal information has been disclosed overseas, there’s a possibility the recipient may be required to disclose it under a foreign law. Where this occurs, such disclosure isn’t a breach of the Act.
How personal information is held
We hold personal information in secure systems, databases and paper records. We may use related bodies corporate and third party suppliers for data storage, which may be located outside of Australia.
Any personal information provided over the internet is held securely and not retained on our web servers. We use service providers and secure online payment facilities to process payments by credit card. Card details can’t be accessed through the internet after a payment has been processed.
Website and app tracking
- Details of visits to our websites or use of our apps and the browser used
- Details of sites visited before visiting our website
- Pages visited, time spent on them and documents viewed and download
- Visits made to our websites before
- Preferences, and
- Server address/IP address.
What we use this information for
We use information collected to:
- Assist in the use our online services and understand needs
- Collect and analyse statistical information
- Enhance and tailor website functionality and the customer experience
- Investigate security incidents
- Learn about emails sent, including if they were opened and what’s been done with them
- Manage our servers and websites
- Market our products and services and continue to improve them, and
- Evaluate the effectiveness of our advertising
By accessing our websites or using our apps you agree to cookies being stored in your browser or device. Browsers may be able to be configured to accept or reject cookies, or to notify when a cookie is being sent. The ‘help’ function on your browser will provide details on how to change configurations.
The functionality of our websites and apps may be affected if cookies are blocked or rejected.
We share information from cookies and other technologies with third party providers, including Google Analytics. The information collected can be combined with other information, allowing us or those third parties to identify users at an individual level, their behaviours, activity and needs.
For more information about cookies
For further information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set, how to manage and delete them or how to manage browser settings visit www.allaboutcookies.org
Access, corrections and complaints
Our aim is to always have accurate, complete, up-to-date and relevant personal information. When you deal with us, you should check the information we hold about you is correct.
You can contact our Customer Concierge team to request access to personal information we hold about you and correct any errors. Generally no restrictions or charges apply.
Call: 1300 798 797
Deposit Assure Pty Ltd,
84-90 Hotham Street,
Preston, Victoria 3072
ABN 40 168 962 365
Updated: 1 June 2018